How to Jump Start A Car
There are a variety of reasons why your battery may die that requires you to jump start your car. Sometimes it just occurs because the battery is getting old, or sometimes you leave interior or exterior lights on that drain the battery overnight. If you are ever in a situation where your battery is dead, use these tips to find out how to jump start your car and get back on the Charleston roads. To start, you’ll need jumper cables and another vehicle, or a service like AAA.
How to Properly Jump Start a Car
- Face the car with the good battery towards the car with the dead battery, making sure that vehicle is off. Engage both parking brakes.
- Open the hood of both cars and locate the batteries. On some models, you may need to remove a plastic hood to expose the battery terminals.
- Identify and clean the positive and negative terminals of the batteries, making sure to remove any corrosion.
- Connect red clamp to the positive post of the dead battery.
- Connect the other red clamp to the positive terminal of the working battery.
- Connect the black clamp to the negative terminal of the working battery.
- With the other black clamp, connect it to an unpainted metal surface on the car’s frame.
- Once everything is securely hooked up, start the engine of the car with the good battery, then the car with the dead battery.
Additional Battery Tips and Tricks
If your car won’t jump start, this may be a sign that you need a new battery or that there is a more serious problem at play. Should you car not jump start, following these troubleshooting methods:
- If you only hear a clicking sound, the starter in your car may not be functioning properly. Schedule service at Land Rover Charleston near Parkersburg to get a replacement fitted.
- If your electrical systems are functioning but the engine won’t turn over, this could signify a number of potential issues. The battery, ignition switch, starter, or a fuse could be malfunctioning. Visit our Charleston service center to have the issue properly diagnosed.
- Leave the vehicle running for a good while after a successful jump start. This allows the battery to regain a full charge after being depleted.
Get Your Vehicle Serviced at Land Rover Charleston
From jump starts to oil changes, and everything in between, Land Rover Charleston is here to help. Our service centered is staffed with expertly trained technicians, so stop by today or contact us online to schedule an appointment!
More From Land Rover Charleston
What are the 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Velar price points? As the second-most affordable luxury SUV in the Range Rover family, this model is a great choice for fans of the Land Rover brand in Huntington and Parkersburg. Explore Range Rover Velar costs over the four offered trim levels, and find out which configuration…
The Range Rover Evoque has been redesigned for 2020 and this comes with more fuel efficiencies than ever. Explore the 2020 Range Rover Evoque fuel economy ratings below, then contact Land Rover Charleston near Parkersburg to learn more about the latest features on this compact luxury SUV or to schedule a test drive! New Inventory Contact Us…
The 2020 Range Rover Velar can tow up to 5,512 pounds, and it offers a wide range of performance technologies for better towing on Huntington roads. Learn more about Range Rover Velar towing at Land Rover Charleston, then browse our inventory to find a Range Rover Velar for sale near Parkersburg at a great price. View Inventory…